Do you have a missing tooth?
Are you considering the types of tooth restorations available?
Create a Smile, PC, cosmetic dentistry practice in Bloomington, can help answer your questions about dental implants and bridges.
If you have a missing tooth and want to restore that gap in your mouth, you should know the differences between a dental bridge and a permanent dental implant.
Dental bridges have replaced teeth for generations of individuals. However, they have some downsides:
- They are a 3-tooth solution to a 1-tooth problem—the adjacent teeth must be prepped and crowned to hold the replacement (floating) tooth.
- It is hard to properly clean the small areas under the bridge.
- A dental bridge does not guard against bone recession at the extraction site.
Why does a tooth implant have key improvements over a dental bridge?
- It is a 1-tooth solution to a 1-tooth problem.
- It is usually stronger.
- Will cut down the risk of bone recession (as compared to a bridge) because it replaces the tooth root.
- It is usually easier to keep clean which results in a lower risk of decay.
- They generally last longer.
- Dental implants can support a denture or partial denture.
If you want to learn more about dental implants, call Create A Smile, PC today and schedule your consultation.