Periodontal disease in Bloomington, commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA. Fortunately, periodontal disease in Bloomington can be treated.
Facts About Periodontal Disease in Bloomington
By taking the initiative in your oral health, we can catch gum disease early and make sure it has no lasting harm to your smile. If untreated, gum disease can cause lasting damage to your smile that will require extensive cosmetic and restorative dentistry to fix. Here are 5 critical things that you need to know about gum disease.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss and facial sagging.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having dental exams twice a year is the best way to prevent periodontal disease in Bloomington.
- Periodontal disease can occur even without the presence of cavities. If you are displaying signs of gum disease, such as swollen or red gums, then come in for an oral examination.
- Almost half of all adults in the United States have periodontal disease. That’s right, half.
- In some cases, periodontal disease creates no noticeable symptoms, which is why regular checkups are so important.
Schedule an Appointment for an Oral Exam
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene, failing to floss, genetic disposition, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is vital to see your dentist regularly. To schedule a periodontal disease examination, call Create A Smile, PC – Dr. Ken Moore at 812-332-1405 or visit our website today.