If you are wearing dentures in Bloomington, you know that they are not the best solution for missing teeth. Denture problems include slipping, gum irritation, and trouble eating. At Create A Smile, PC – Dr. Ken Moore we can help discuss whether you need dentures or if there’s a better option.
1. Dentures are not the only replacement option for missing teeth. Dental implants used alone or in combination with a partial denture is often a better option for patients. Whereas a removable appliance replaces only the visible parts of teeth, an implant replaces both the root and crown of a tooth. This has important implications. Dental implants can stop bone recession that ordinarily occurs following tooth extractions. Dental implants can deliver patients the near-normal ability to chew and talk.
2. There are more than one type of denture. Most people are familiar with the removable denture that replaces a complete upper or lower arch. There are also partial dentures that are used for patients who have some original teeth. Partial dentures can be anchored in the mouth or removable.
3. Even if you have worn dentures for a while, you may be a good candidate for implant-anchored dentures. We’ll need to check if you have enough bone to support an implant. Bone grafting can strengthen existing bone in some patients. Schedule an appointment with our team to find out if you are a well-suited candidate.
4. Regardless of your tooth replacement configuration—full dentures, partial dentures, or tooth implants—you still need to practice correct oral hygiene. Removable appliances should be cleaned daily.
5. Even if you have no existing teeth left, you still need twice-yearly dental examination. Good oral health is an important part of overall physical well-being. Our team will examine your mouth for indications of diseases like cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, and diabetes. It is also a good idea for your dentist to examine the condition of your appliance at your visit.
Dental implants may be the best investment you make when it comes to health and happiness.At Create a Smile, PC, in Bloomington, our services include general and cosmetic dentistry, as well as gum disease treatment, stop snoring & teeth grinding, sedation dentistry and emergency dental care. Schedule an appointment today!