Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss in adult Americans, yet many people are surprisingly under-informed about it. In this blog post from Create A Smile in Bloomington IN, we share some basic facts about gum disease.
- In its earliest and most treatable stage, gum disease is called gingivitis. The more advanced form is called periodontitis.
- More than half of Americans who are thirty and older have periodontitis. That equals nearly sixty-five million people.
- The best way to prevent gum disease is to brush and floss your teeth twice a day, and have a dental checkup twice a year.
- Gum disease has few symptoms in its early stages. You could have it but be completely unaware.
- Tiny amounts of blood in the sink when you brush is not normal. If you see a little blood when you brush and floss, make an appointment with us right away.
- Advanced gum disease affects bone and ligaments, in addition to the gums. It requires more aggressive treatment, such as deep cleaning, but it too can be reversed.
- Gum disease has been linked to more serious health conditions, including heart attacks, stroke, and Alzheimer’s.
These are frightening facts. It reminds us of the old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. To put it another way: guard your dental health with regular brushing and flossing, and regular checkups at Create A Smile in Bloomington IN. We offer gum disease treatment. People from Spencer, Ellettsville, and Bedford also come to us for complete general dentistry. Contact us today!